Comment on page
Developers and administrators can monitor application metrics, system metrics, and infrastructure metrics for Grainite. Grainite exposes a Prometheus endpoint on port 5064 that can be used for gathering and processing monitoring data. The counters and gauges APIs discussed in the API section of the documentation allow for the creation of these metrics which are then exposed to Prometheus by Grainite and can be visualized in a tool like Grafana. More details here.
Grainite provides built-in metrics that allow developers and administrators to monitor
- Application runtime metrics
- Event processing metrics
- Database metrics
Application Runtime Metrics
Cloud providers' monitoring solutions can be used to gather infrastructure-level metrics. We recommend monitoring the following metrics:
- CPU usage: CPU usage by each Kubernetes node is measured in the number of CPU cores
- CPU utilization: CPU utilization by each node measured as a percent of available CPU resources
- Bytes transmitted: Throughput of network traffic being sent out of each node measured in bytes
- Bytes received: Throughput of network traffic being received by each node, measured in bytes
- Memory usage: Memory usage by each node measured in GiB
- Disk read: Throughput of disk IOPS being read by each node to its persistent disk
- Disk write: Throughput of disk IOPS being written by each node to its persistent disk
Additional metrics can be added as desired for your deployments within the cloud provider's monitoring console.